Friday, December 24, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas
When I boarded a plane.
My luggage stuffed with warm sweaters,
boxed presents and candy canes.

The hostesses all sang
over the intercom with cheer,
As the children squirmed in their seats
And we flew over the Pier.

The flight was not long
And the ride not too bumpy.
And a few hours later,
We landed quite safely.

Through the terminal I rushed,
To be greeted by family.
And we whisked up my suitcase
And hopped in the Jimmy.

As we left the City,
the snow started to fall
Dusting the farm fields
Like powdered sugar over it all.

And the lights on the houses
Twinkled like sprinkles on cake
Or perhaps more like tinsel
reflecting the light of a fireplace.

And farther and farther
Into the country we drove.
Until finally now
Up to my aunt's house we pulled.

As my brother unloaded,
Into the new foyer I walked
And my mother she greeted me
And we kissed and we talked.

And she gave me a tour
And show'd where I'd be staying
And we smiled
As we saw the new baby sleeping.

But as we rounded the corner,
What to my wandering eye should appear?
But the most beautiful kitchen
I have seen all year.

I stopped in mid-sentence.
My breath taken away.
Absorbing the scene before me
I had nothing to say.

Granite countertops, wood floors
A gas stove with four burners.
An island, a dishwasher
An oven I've yearned for.

A full fridge, a freezer
Cabinets and barstools.
A pantry, high ceilings,
This kitchen was magical.

I ran my fingers over the counters.
I played with a dial.
I imagined warm pie in the oven
And  to myself, I smiled.

Yes, what I could cook
in a kitchen like this.
What utter joy,
What culinary bliss.

The pies and the roasts
The cookies, the batter
The soup and the mash
A roasted vegetable platter.

Hors d'oeuvres and omelets
Salad and dinner plates
The chocolates, the cocktails
Puffed pastry bakes

We'd eat until we were full
Then we'd eat again
And we would throw parties
Every now and again.

That night, as I was tucked
warmly in bed,
And Santa and his reindeer
flew overhead,

I dreamt of a kitchen
As big as my whole place
And I danced around on wood floors
in heels and lace.

And I mixed flour and sugar
and butter and egg
And visions of sugar cookies
danced in my head

And I wished upon Santa
That some day I would
Have a kitchen like this
To make such food.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! I'm single with a full kitchen and will look at it differently after reading this.
    I'm amazed at what you can do with a hot plate and toaster oven! I've been attempting to "cook" as opposed to "preparing" (arranging on a plate) healthy (bland) meals (fish, meat, vegetables and salads) for the last year. Your blog has truly inspired me and I'm going to try out some of your delicious recipes. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Thanks!
    Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Can't wait to hear how it goes! If you have any good recipes you'd like to share, be sure to send them my way. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete