Thursday, September 9, 2010

Kitchenada: The Bachelorette Challenge

Kitchenada: (noun) the art of living without a kitchen; also, a fan of the kitchen or a kitchen aficionado.

Call me a Kitchenada or a Kitchenista. I ♥ cooking, baking, experimenting, tasting, entertaining and generally just eating food. Whatever possessed me to sign a lease on a place without a full kitchen is beyond me. But, oh, it has crown molding and a walk-in closet and the neighborhood is so cute ... a girl can be easily distracted, you know? So forgive the sinner - I mean, the lease signer - because by hook or by crook, this girl will cook!

So laid out plainly - here's my challenge:
  • Cooking for 1 not 100: Smaller portions, personal size.
  • Freezer-less: It's chilling but true. No cooking large batches and saving the rest for later.
  • Crisp-tastrophe: The mini-fridge keeps a temperature more inconsistent than the last guy I dated, which is no good for fruits and veg and bachelorette's hearts.
  • Toastmaster: Toast On, Toast Off. You can bake, you can broil, and mmmm ... you can toast. Pushing the limits of toaster oven gourmet.
  • Oh Bummer, One Burner. Adventures in Hot Plating It.
  • Counterspace Challenged: Approximately 800 square inches of glorious marble countertops -- half of which are taken up by my toaster oven and the other half which I keep managing to break glass items on.
  • Not a Bare Cupboard, but Barely a Cupboard: Limited Cupboard Space = Limited Appliances + Limited Supplies.
  • More for Less: Healthy, Fresh & On Budget because food may be important, but so are waist sizes and new shoes ...
So without further ado, welcome to my Adventures in Hot-Plate Toaster-Oven Cooking for One. if you've got tips or challenges or recipes or stories to share by all means leave them in the comments. Unless your a spammer - you're officially uninvited - I hate Spam of both the electronic and canned varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment