Sunday, January 2, 2011

Homemade Turkey Stew

I had already taken a bowl
before the picture :)
On a rainy day like this, there is nothing quite like a stew to warm the soul.

This cleanse-friendly stew is my first meat recipe on the blog.  After many years of vegetarian- and pescetarian-ism, I began eating organic meats in small portions when my body was encountering some health problems and I had to go off of carbohydrates for a while (my vegetarian diet being very carb-heavy).  So now instead of calling myself "vegetarian" or "pescetarian," I've settled for "I'm just particular."  :)  I was never much into labels anyway. 

I hope you meat-eaters out there enjoy the recipe. 

Ingredients:
1 lb turkey thighs or breast, cut into cubes
1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 qt vegetable or chicken broth
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into slices
1 medium turnip, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
(parsnips, rutabagas and beets are all good subs/additions too)
1/2 t salt
pinch of rosemary
pinch of thyme
pinch of basil
fresh ground pepper to taste
garlic to taste
olive oil

Supplies:
Hot Plate
Toaster Oven
Shallow Oven-Safe Dish with Lid
Cutting Board + Knife

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place pan on hot plate and heat small amount of olive oil over medium high heat.  Add turkey pieces and brown, 2-3 minutes on each side.  Add onions and celery to pan.  Cooking for 2-3 more minutes until onions start to become slightly translucent.

Add salt and 1/2 the broth.  Bring to simmer.  Cover and place pan in oven, cooking for one hour.

After an hour, remove from oven and add the rest of the vegetables, herbs and stock  Return to the oven and cook until vegetables are tender - approximately one hour.

Remove and let cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment